Value Engineering for Projects
- Understand the characteristics of Value Engineering along with related terminology; recognize the difference between the typical design process and the VE process
- Apply Value Engineering to your projects
- Reduce total project cost without sacrificing quality and function
- Identify competing concepts and compare the costs of alternatives to ensure the most economical project at the desired level of quality
- Maintain accurate control of the progressive budgeting process based on the various stages of design
- Manage the interfaces between many value-adding project phases and management expectations
- Apply systematic and innovative methodology through a multi-disciplinary approach to achieve better value and cost optimization for projects
- Focus on function and thereby develop creative thinking towards project cost reduction
- Understand FAST diagramming and selection of target areas of opportunity for creativity to improve project value
- Diagnose the Function Analysis Phase of the VE job plan, identification of functions and how to perform function analysis
- Understand the requirements for performing the Evaluation Phase of the VE job plan
- Recognize how to consolidate VE proposals and understand the principles of Life Cycle Cost Analysis principles as applied to VE
Current economic conditions are placing greater stress on available funding resources of capital projects. In this period of reduced budget and cost cutting, it is crucial to find innovative ways of balancing cost and quality of the project.
Value Engineering (VE) is a very powerful, highly-structured, group thinking / consensus building process for strategizing, conceptualizing, optimizing and problem-solving. Significantly improved performance can be achieved through application of VE by increasing functionality and performance, while at the same time reducing total cost. VE can be applied to any project, process, procedure, system or service. Government, construction, environmental, energy, industrial and service industries around the world benefit from the VE process through:
- Reduction in the total installed cost of the facilities
- Reduction in the overall life cycle cost
- Structured approach to achieve a “fit-for-purpose” design
- Achievement of maximum value for expenditures, whether for planning, design, construction, operation, or maintenance
- Finding a solution that provides essential functions at minimum life cycle cost. Optimizing capital, operation, maintenance, labor, etc.
- Navigating the project, program, or entire organization within budget constraints without sacrificing function
- Increase in profitability – function, efficiency, value, and quality
- Documented Return of Investment (ROI) of 20:1 and much greater
- Promoting maximum “buy-in” from the community, interested agencies and public organizations, committees, unions, funding sources, users, etc.
- Capturing the thoughts of all stakeholders to help develop a plan, concept, design, program, system, or organization to address as many as possible
- Combining ideas of owner, designer and a VE Team to improve functionality, quality and cost-effectiveness
- Aiding complex decision-making or resolving difficult problems to expedite progress in planning, design, construction, implementation, or process improvement
- Assisting the Owner to make fully informed decisions
- Meeting growing regulations requiring VE
By the end of this masterclass, delegates will gain an appreciation and knowledge of a range of better practice, concepts and techniques on how to:
- Manage the cost of their projects according to best practices
- Have a consistent and streamlined project cost management process
- Form and instill a common understanding among multi-disciplinary teams
- Focus the efforts on the business goals driving the project
- Avoid unnecessary costs
- Adopt and apply a structured approach, tested and successful procedures that are directed toward achieving success in meeting the purposes for the “project” by all involved
This course is intended particularly for all the professionals who are or will be responsible for controlling or supporting programs and large or complex projects, services and systems, including the following:
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Project Consultants
- Construction Managers
- Project Controller
- Business Change Managers
- Cost Controllers
- Engineering Services
- Technical Services
- Program Managers
- Project Scheduler
- Program and Project Support Team Members
- Quantity Surveyors
The Trainer is a seasoned value engineer with over 35 years of experience and a strong background in both technical and project management. He has worked in several different countries and diverse cultures throughout the world. His leadership of opportunity & problem-solving explorations has resulted in substantial savings of time and capital (& life-cycle) cost; this includes reduced risk and significant constructability / functionality / productivity enhancements, for many high profile, public and private sector programs, projects and services.
The Trainer is a Director of the Team Focus Group and of Value Assurance Resources 360 (VAR360) Inc. Canada. He conducts strategic and operational consulting assignments, as well as performance improvement training / coaching and change management for a wide range of clients and topics worldwide. He has extensive experience of a range of procurement contract mechanisms, including traditional design and construct (unit price, lump sum, cost plus), construction management, design-build, EPC and PFI/P3.
He has been conducting Value Engineering assignments for many years in various countries around the world and in different cultures. This encompasses a range of private and public projects, including oil and gas, transportation, institutional and environmental improvement initiatives at different stages of planning, development or operation. In addition, he has written several books on the topic of value improvement and assurance. In 2012, he was received the Canadian Society of Value Analysis National Award of Merit for Innovation. He speaks regularly at international conferences.
His leadership of group problem solving situations has resulted in significant savings of time and cost, together with functionality enhancements, for a number of high profile projects and services for both the public and private sectors, in many different countries and diverse cultures. His business activities also focus on organizational efficiencies and effectiveness, interim management, independent reviews, program / project planning and controls, as well as project rescue, along with transformation of business processes.
He is a Certified Value Specialist-Life (US), Certificated Value Manager (UK), Professional in Value Management (Europe) and Professional Engineer (Canada). He is also a Fellow of the Institutions of Civil Engineers and of Water & Environmental Management in the UK and a Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Value Management.
Companies that have benefitted from the Trainer’s expertise include:
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
- Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Company
- Alberta Infrastructure
- Alberta Education
- Atlantic Tractors and Equipment
- BP Energy, US
- Capital Power
- Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- City of Calgary
- City of Edmonton
- City of Lethbridge
- City of Ottawa
- City of Winnipeg
- Clear Water Group
- Corridor Pipeline
- David Thompson Health Region
- Department of National Defence Canada
- Dubai Municipality
- Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
- East Bay Municipal District
- East of Scotland Water
- Esfahan Regional Electric Company
- Essex and Suffolk Water
- EPCOR Water
- Hong Kong Works Department
- Husky Energy
- Hyundai Development and Engineering Company
- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd
- Iron Ore Company of Canada
- Government of Canada
- Government of Singapore
- London Underground
- Manasc Isaacs Architects
- Manila Water Company
- Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs
- Ministry of Works, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Nova Corporation
- North West Water
- Peavine Metis Settlement Council
- Petronas Carigali
- Province of Manitoba
- RAO VSM
- Reading Football Club
- Regional Municipality of Ottawa Carleton, Canada
- Royal Commission for Jubail &Yanbu
- Saudi Aramco
- Severn Trent Water
- Shell Canada
- SNC Lavalin
- South Iran Oilfield Company
- Southern Water
- South West Water
- Stirling Water
- Suncor Energy
- Tehran Regional Electric Company
- Taylor Woodrow Construction
- Thames Water
- United Development Company
- University of Alberta
All information regarding the event will be listed on our event brochures. It contains all the necessary information such as the Investment Fee, Full Course Agenda, Top Learning Objectives, Trainer’s Profile, and more. You may request for an event brochure by:
a. Signing up on the Request for Brochure form located at the Event Page
b. Leaving a message to Sally via Salvo’s Support Message Box.
c. Sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be required to provide details such as your Name, Organisation, Corporate E-mail Address, Contact Number, and Country of Origin.
The exact hotel location will be made known to all delegates privately approximately 1 month prior to the commencement date. We do have preferential corporate rates at the event hotels. Interested parties may inquire at email@example.com or request for the event brochure. Delegates who have confirmed their participation with us will be contacted by our team as soon as a venue is finalised. Usually, we hold all our events in 5 star hotels based in the city centre.
Salvo typically provides a 10% discount from the original investment fee per delegate should a company send 3 or more delegates to attend the course. Specific discounts may differ for respective programs so please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further confirmation on the exact discount.
Aside from the group discount mentioned above, Salvo offers a special Early Bird Discount once a new event is released. However, delegates must register as soon as possible since the special rate will only be available for a limited time.
The Investment Fee will cover all the course documents and materials that will be used during the training, as well as luncheons and coffee breaks during the training program. The Investment Fee does not cover the travel and accommodation expenses of the delegates, however, we can assist you by providing details on the estimated cost for both. The Investment Fee is also exclusive of tax. Taxes are to be borne by the delegate’s organisation.
Once you receive a copy of the event brochure, complete the registration form which is located on the last page and send it back to us. Upon receipt of the completed registration form with authorization, we will proceed to block the seat(s) on our system for your organization. Thereafter, the invoice will be sent out by our Finance team for processing of payment.
Your payment can be made via Telegraphic Transfer or via Credit Cards through American Express, MasterCard, Visa or Diners. Bank charges and local withholding tax are to be borne by the registrant.
Full payment should be made within TEN (10) WORKING DAYS upon receipt of invoice.
Aside from the knowledge that our expert trainers are imparting, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to all delegates completing a minimum of 90% of the total hours of the course. Some of our events offer takeaways and free consultation after the course. It varies from programs to programs.
You will receive a pre-course questionnaire upon successful registration. Kindly state your specific concerns and issues on this questionnaire and send it back to us, as this will be consolidated and forwarded to the trainer during the formulation of the course agenda. Alternatively, you can also email us at email@example.com regarding your concern so we can be in touch to ensure that your concerns is addressed asap.
The registration form carries at least a 50% cancellation liability 6 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event after a signed sales resignation contract has been received by Salvo. If we are notified less than 2 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event, full cancellation fees is applicable.
With that said, we do understand that last minute changes do occur in organizations due to last minute change in schedule, job requirements etc. As such, please contact us soonest at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist in the best way forward for any changes.