Advanced Earned Value Management (EVM) for Projects
- Manage the use of the Earned Value Management (EVM) project control method as an essential decision-making tool for the success of projects and programs
- Understand the added value and the benefits of EVM in the overall management of a project-based organization
- Recognize how to use EVM effectively as a key tool for communication among the project stakeholders and with executive management
- Learn all the required technical knowledge to implement the EVM method in real project environments
- Know how to integrate effectively the EVM method with: the scope definition (WBS), the project budget, the project schedule, the risk process, and with the organizational responsibilities (OBS/RAM)
- Analyse and understand the essential technical and organizational requirements to implement effectively the EVM method in projects and organizations
- Differentiate the importance and benefits of maintaining a data base of EVM metrics of past projects as the basis for controls and continuous improvement
- Know how to explore the benefits of software tools to support the practical implementation of the EVM method
- Discover how to apply the EVM concepts to program and portfolio management
- Master the international EVM standards from PMI, AACE International, CPM and ISO, and understand the future trend of EVM as a key and essential performance management tool
One of the most critical problems that project management professionals face is the management of the performance on their project. The two most common challenges a project manager faces in any industry are cost and schedule overruns. In many instances there is no forewarning; schedule slips, costs soar and often quality is also impacted; the project manager is faced with the near impossible task of explaining why each impact occurred and why the root-causes were not addressed early in the project.
Performance measurement as the basis to manage projects, programs and portfolios, is becoming increasingly important for project-based organizations. Developed as joint effort between NASA and the US Department of Defence (DoD), back in the mid-60s, Earned Value Management (EVM) has been maturing and evolving over the last decades as the global de facto standard for performance measurement and project control, having deserved the attention of the most prominent standardization organizations like ISO, CPM, AACE International and the Project Management Institute (PMI), all of which have recently developed global standards specific for the implementation, adoption and certification in Earned Value Management.
Salvo’s 3-day masterclass will provide stakeholders with reliable data and quantitative information about the project status and performance, so that more effective decisions can be devised to improve a project’s success. The adoption of EVM implies a cultural change towards objectivity, proactivity and opportunity management, where variation, deviations and changes are all the source for developing knowledge, gaining better understanding and improving a project. EVM is also the foundation for auditability in projects. The traditional alternatives to project control without EVM is the sole use of intuitive and empirical decision-making based on personal experience confined to managers’ “comfort-zones”, the use of financial cash-flow control metrics (which clearly fail to see the whole picture), or, at best, “home-made” metrics which do not capitalize on existing standards knowledge, nor provide a basis for benchmarking, a common-language, auditability and a basis for continuous improvement. Knowing EVM and being updated to the latest developments constitutes a key requirement for all professionals involved in making or influencing management and business decisions in projects, programs and portfolios.
- Know Precisely whether or not your projects are on the path to success.
- Become distinguished for your ability to effectively plan, execute, control and lead projects in the right direction.
- Demonstrate to stakeholders whether or not they are getting the value for money they are spending.
- Boost your company’s overall competitiveness, Return on Investment (ROI), and chances of winning major projects.
- Improve your ability to report, interpret and communicate the project’s true status.
- Integrate an accurate Periodic Cost and Schedule Performance index, and to-Complete Performance Index, for Risk Analysis and as benchmark.
- Set reliable Early Warning Indicators for your projects
This course is intended particularly for all the professionals who are or will be responsible for controlling or supporting
programs and large or complex projects, services and systems, including the following:
- Project Controls Manager
- Project Controllers
- Earned Value Specialists
- Programme Directors/Managers
- Project Planners & Schedulers
- Risk Management Offices Staff
- Project Management Office Staff
- Project Team Members
- Cost Managers
- Cost Controllers & Engineers
- Project Sponsors
- Project Consultants
- Project Specialists
- Project Engineers
- Top Management
All information regarding the event will be listed on our event brochures. It contains all the necessary information such as the Investment Fee, Full Course Agenda, Top Learning Objectives, Trainer’s Profile, and more. You may request for an event brochure by:
a. Signing up on the Request for Brochure form located at the Event Page
b. Leaving a message to Sally via Salvo’s Support Message Box.
c. Sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be required to provide details such as your Name, Organisation, Corporate E-mail Address, Contact Number, and Country of Origin.
The exact hotel location will be made known to all delegates privately approximately 1 month prior to the commencement date. We do have preferential corporate rates at the event hotels. Interested parties may inquire at email@example.com or request for the event brochure. Delegates who have confirmed their participation with us will be contacted by our team as soon as a venue is finalised. Usually, we hold all our events in 5 star hotels based in the city centre.
Salvo typically provides a 10% discount from the original investment fee per delegate should a company send 3 or more delegates to attend the course. Specific discounts may differ for respective programs so please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further confirmation on the exact discount.
Aside from the group discount mentioned above, Salvo offers a special Early Bird Discount once a new event is released. However, delegates must register as soon as possible since the special rate will only be available for a limited time.
The Investment Fee will cover all the course documents and materials that will be used during the training, as well as luncheons and coffee breaks during the training program. The Investment Fee does not cover the travel and accommodation expenses of the delegates, however, we can assist you by providing details on the estimated cost for both. The Investment Fee is also exclusive of tax. Taxes are to be borne by the delegate’s organisation.
Once you receive a copy of the event brochure, complete the registration form which is located on the last page and send it back to us. Upon receipt of the completed registration form with authorization, we will proceed to block the seat(s) on our system for your organization. Thereafter, the invoice will be sent out by our Finance team for processing of payment.
Your payment can be made via Telegraphic Transfer or via Credit Cards through American Express, MasterCard, Visa or Diners. Bank charges and local withholding tax are to be borne by the registrant.
Full payment should be made within TEN (10) WORKING DAYS upon receipt of invoice.
Aside from the knowledge that our expert trainers are imparting, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to all delegates completing a minimum of 90% of the total hours of the course. Some of our events offer takeaways and free consultation after the course. It varies from programs to programs.
You will receive a pre-course questionnaire upon successful registration. Kindly state your specific concerns and issues on this questionnaire and send it back to us, as this will be consolidated and forwarded to the trainer during the formulation of the course agenda. Alternatively, you can also email us at email@example.com regarding your concern so we can be in touch to ensure that your concerns is addressed asap.
The registration form carries at least a 50% cancellation liability 6 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event after a signed sales resignation contract has been received by Salvo. If we are notified less than 2 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event, full cancellation fees is applicable.
With that said, we do understand that last minute changes do occur in organizations due to last minute change in schedule, job requirements etc. As such, please contact us soonest at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist in the best way forward for any changes.