Advanced Shutdown, Turnaround and Outage Management
- Understand how turnaround management fits within the wider maintenance and operating processes to support world class performance
- Understand the critical processes, skills and tools required to establish outstanding turnaround performances in their own environment
- Set out a framework (the model of excellence) that provides a structured, logical explanation of turnaround best practice, how to develop a local methodology and benchmark performance
- Provide a cradle to grave process for turnaround management from initial concept to event completion that will help plan work, manage risks and secure event goals
- Explain the role of the steering team and how to develop a truly strategic and effective steering team
- Provide a vehicle to benchmark current performances and practices against the latest planning and management techniques and how to use audits to keep events on track
- Understand the principles of strategic planning and how to convert turnarounds from a business nuisance to a business opportunity
- Devise a method to identify critical roles, develop organisations for different events and ensure that this team has the right skills and behaviours to perform effectively
- Integrate departments beyond just the maintenance team (e.g. operations, safety, procurement, projects) in the turnaround process
- Understand the latest thinking in scope control and clarification (how 70% of scope can be identified 3 months after the last turnaround, how to eliminate waste, how to reduce the impact of scope on an event and how to control late and emergent work)
- Develop a contract strategy that is best for different environments to select the right contractor and set up a contract and relationship that will drive performance
- Balance fixed costs against other event priorities, to track spend and avoid surprises
This practical course will provide you with the skill to:
- Position Turnarounds as part of an overall strategy of improving business performance
- Build the best Turnaround team possible from available resources
- Help senior management build effective steering teams
- Reduce the downtime associated with turnarounds whilst simultaneously improving safety performance
- Use our Model of Excellence to analyse their own performance, explain key principles to others and build a detailed methodology of their own
- Maximise the benefits of planning and preparation through our proactive challenge planning process
- Build a turnaround from the ground up from concept to execution and review
Turnarounds are the highest risk activity that we routinely perform in industry, but they are also an area of massive variability in approach and outcome. Although some of this is quite natural due to local needs, the majority of inconsistency is caused by the fact that many companies do not have written methodologies and have not trained their staff in best practice for turnaround management. This despite the fact that turnarounds traditionally provide the highest peak in safety incidents, downtime and fixed cost spend in the calendar. There has also been a historic gap in meaningful guidance – there are around 1000 times as many books on maintenance as there are on turnaround management. All too often companies see turnarounds as something to be survived.
If turnarounds are not properly planned, managed and controlled, companies run the risks of serious safety and budget penalties, costly schedule delays and negative impacts on customers. Industry is littered with examples of poor turnarounds,which have injured people and damaged businesses. As a consequence, operators are starting to explore turnaround best practice and establish a more robust methodology.
This course is based upon the Carcharodon “best of the best” model of excellence for shutdown management. This model builds on the work of Tom Lenahan (published author and Carcharodon Associate), has been brought together with inputs from people who have done it from the trenches along with some of the world’s most experienced shutdown specialists with all this experience condensed into a core methodology – our blueprint for success. It converts Turnarounds from a high-risk nuisance to and opportunity and has been used on multiple sites around the world, has been the basis of two books and is also supplemented by a chronological guide to building and controlling a successful turnaround.
The purpose of the course is to use the Model of Excellence for Turnarounds and the principles of Challenge Planning to equip attendees with an advanced approach to Turnaround Management. The course is backed by real situations, high levels of interaction, group exercisesand multiple case studies. It will explore the underlying mechanisms and levers that shape a turnaround to demonstrate why we sometimes succeed or fail and introduce new conceptual approaches that can increase our chances of succeeding.
Directors, Heads, GMs, Senior Managers, Managers, Team Leads, Superintendents, Supervisors and Engineers
- Shutdown & Turnaround
- Quality Assurance
- Asset Management
- Health & Safety
From industries including – but not limited to:
- Oil & Gas
- Transportation & Rail
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Food & Beverages
As the founder of award winning consultancy Carcharodon, the trainer for the course is a highly respected consultant and trainer. He has worked across five continents in a wide variety of environments from the world’s largest oil refinery to a small cider brewery. He held a series of maintenance and operations leadership positions in the process industry to gain valuable front line experience before moving into consulting with ABB Eutech as their maintenance specialist. During his time with ABB, the trainer led a number of UK and global maintenance best practice panels with his role expanding to include defining best practice in operational excellence and major change.
The trainer founded Carcharodon in 2002 putting together specialist teams who have previously held senior positions with companies such as Shell Global Solutions, BP, ICI and Dow Chemicals to provide exceptional improvements to a wide variety of operating companies and also build a range of best of the best models for maintenance improvement (including turnaround management). Whilst these models have been based on oil and gas and the process industry, they also include learning from other sectors such as fine chemicals, cement and food and drink. His recent achievements include developing a more business focused maintenance and turnaround methodology model, which was a major factor in Carcharodon winning the 2014 UK Chemicals Industry Association awards for Excellence in Engineering.
The Trainer has helped many notable organisations achieve improved performance through training and consulting advice. These include:
- Relolute Mining (Africa)
- AngloGold Ashanti Mine
- Lyondell Basell
- National Starch
- Matthew Clarke
- Global Technology Forum
- British Sugar
- European Commission
- Coogee Energy
- Eastman Chemicals
- JX Nippon O&G
- Sakhalin Energy
- Vodaphone Ghana
- Randgold Mining
- Vivergo Fuels
- Tauton Cider
- Ineos Chemicals
- Rugby Cement
- Conoco Philips
- Petroplus Refining
- Thai Electric
- Malaysia LNG
- Endeavor Mining
- Du Pont
- Neste Oil
- Petro SA
- Dulux Paints
- Preem AB
- Emery Oleochemicals
- Sabal Shell
- Saltend Chemicals Park
- Nippon Gohsei
All information regarding the event will be listed on our event brochures. It contains all the necessary information such as the Investment Fee, Full Course Agenda, Top Learning Objectives, Trainer’s Profile, and more. You may request for an event brochure by:
a. Signing up on the Request for Brochure form located at the Event Page
b. Leaving a message to Sally via Salvo’s Support Message Box.
c. Sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be required to provide details such as your Name, Organisation, Corporate E-mail Address, Contact Number, and Country of Origin.
The exact hotel location will be made known to all delegates privately approximately 1 month prior to the commencement date. We do have preferential corporate rates at the event hotels. Interested parties may inquire at email@example.com or request for the event brochure. Delegates who have confirmed their participation with us will be contacted by our team as soon as a venue is finalised. Usually, we hold all our events in 5 star hotels based in the city centre.
Salvo typically provides a 10% discount from the original investment fee per delegate should a company send 3 or more delegates to attend the course. Specific discounts may differ for respective programs so please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further confirmation on the exact discount.
Aside from the group discount mentioned above, Salvo offers a special Early Bird Discount once a new event is released. However, delegates must register as soon as possible since the special rate will only be available for a limited time.
The Investment Fee will cover all the course documents and materials that will be used during the training, as well as luncheons and coffee breaks during the training program. The Investment Fee does not cover the travel and accommodation expenses of the delegates, however, we can assist you by providing details on the estimated cost for both. The Investment Fee is also exclusive of tax. Taxes are to be borne by the delegate’s organisation.
Once you receive a copy of the event brochure, complete the registration form which is located on the last page and send it back to us. Upon receipt of the completed registration form with authorization, we will proceed to block the seat(s) on our system for your organization. Thereafter, the invoice will be sent out by our Finance team for processing of payment.
Your payment can be made via Telegraphic Transfer or via Credit Cards through American Express, MasterCard, Visa or Diners. Bank charges and local withholding tax are to be borne by the registrant.
Full payment should be made within TEN (10) WORKING DAYS upon receipt of invoice.
Aside from the knowledge that our expert trainers are imparting, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to all delegates completing a minimum of 90% of the total hours of the course. Some of our events offer takeaways and free consultation after the course. It varies from programs to programs.
You will receive a pre-course questionnaire upon successful registration. Kindly state your specific concerns and issues on this questionnaire and send it back to us, as this will be consolidated and forwarded to the trainer during the formulation of the course agenda. Alternatively, you can also email us at email@example.com regarding your concern so we can be in touch to ensure that your concerns is addressed asap.
The registration form carries at least a 50% cancellation liability 6 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event after a signed sales resignation contract has been received by Salvo. If we are notified less than 2 weeks prior to the commencement date of the event, full cancellation fees is applicable.
With that said, we do understand that last minute changes do occur in organizations due to last minute change in schedule, job requirements etc. As such, please contact us soonest at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist in the best way forward for any changes.